San Juan National Historical Park provides a site about the occupation of San Juan Island with the American's at one camp and the British at the other. The site has good photos and illustrations and provides the history of the British occupation.
English Camp Formal Garden:
The English Formal Garden is one of the more beloved features of San Juan Island National Historical Park.
From 1860-72 both countries occupied the island - the American Army at American Camp and the Royal Marines at English Camp.
British Camp Activities:
- 530 acres-2 miles of shoreline- day use only
- Picnic tables, privies
- Boaters- small dinghy dock- anchor in Garrison Bay
- Barracks-visitor information and slide program- get maps for:
- Bell Point- Saunter wooded trail to Bell Point on Westcott Bay
- British Cemetery- Visit the grassy knoll with sheltering trees.
- Mt Young- Hike up 650' and feel on top of the world.
- Ranger Guided "Living History" and nature orientations. ( during summer months )
- Archaelogical Exhibits ( during summer months )
- Watch the Pig War laser Disc video
Park Facilities, operating Hours and more...
Best Camp Photos:
Click here to View Slideshow
San Juan Trails Committee has a nice English Camp slideshow at this site.
2005 Program Guide:
2005 San Juan Island National Historic Park Program Guide
Schedule of events, activities, programs and exhibits complete with photos.
San Juan Island History:
San Juan History
A San Juan Sites page about the natural and cultural history of San Juan.
Parks & Recreational Areas
Lakes and Beaches
Museums & Gardens
Places for Young Adults & Children
Towns on San Juan Island